Metro Champs

c1for

• Wheel Sucker
  • Chillin
  • Forum posts: 300

Metro Champs

Quote: laager

Quote: c1for

I never heard of a chinese brand frame brake [sic].

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90693&p=781952&hilit=chinarello#p781952

Yes I have seen that one frame in other forums http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/chinese-carbon-thread-ebay-direct-version-5-0-a-241785-241.html but I wonder if this was not caused by a head on collision. I ride with about 30 to 40 guys on high end frames and the amount on broken frames is amazing. Particularly Look (where on one the glue on a lugged frame gave up), Time , Cervelo and Pinarellos. It would be good to know how many warranty claims on brand frames were actually made but that would not be in the interest of the Shops I guess.

hasbeen

• Squid
  • 50 yrs
  • Male
  • Stressed
  • Forum posts: 2170

Metro Champs

It would be good to know how many warranty claims on brand frames were actually made but that would not be in the interest of the Shops I guess.

That's possibly why some of the companies actually pay up the claims quickly. They don't want disgruntled owners ***ing about it on internet forums. If the frame breaks & is replaced quickly, people actually praise the company (unless the break got them injured), where-as really they should be shirty that the frame broke in the first place.

madolator

• Gumby
  • Forum posts: 20

Metro Champs

JMR says"anyone who knows Brett would know there is no way a rider as experienced as him would not do up the QR properly" Why? Mistakes can be made I don't know any of these people but who can dismiss human error But readily blame the frame manufacturer, which may well be correct

McBlane

• Snot Rocket
  • Male
  • Happy
  • Forum posts: 1998

Metro Champs

Quote: hasbeen

It would be good to know how many warranty claims on brand frames were actually made but that would not be in the interest of the Shops I guess.

That's possibly why some of the companies actually pay up the claims quickly. They don't want disgruntled owners ***ing about it on internet forums. If the frame breaks & is replaced quickly, people actually praise the company (unless the break got them injured), where-as really they should be shirty that the frame broke in the first place.

+1

Totally Agree

mickncat

• Pavement Princess
  • Male
  • Chillin
  • Forum posts: 219

Metro Champs

Quote: Wallmonster

Just to clear up some misinformation in the last couple of post. Specialized and Merida entered into a "buying partnership" in 2001 that gave Specialized a much needed influx of cash that Sinyard promptly spent securing Pro Tour sponsorship deals. Merida manufactures welded metal frames. Like many companies they use 3rd party vendors in China for their carbon frames. That they are sold in Australia as made in Taiwan is because they are assembled into complete bikes in Taiwan and the legal determination for the country of origin differs from the US and many other countries as to whether assembled constitutes manufactured. At one point Merida held a 19% ownership stake in Specialized, not even close to 40 or 49%.

I can't guarantee this is correct, but it comes the day after the 19% story

http://www.bike-eu.com/news/680/correction-merida-buys-49%25-of-specialized.html

I have 25000km on my 6 series Madone with no issues. At the end of the day, that is what really matters.

First Lady

• Gumby
  • Forum posts: 2

Metro Champs

A HAPPY ENDING – Specialized Frame Broken at Metro Champs

A friend kindly allowed me to use their Road Grime account in order to post this thank you to Specialized and the team at Planet Cycles.

As you all know my new Specialized Tarmac S-Works came to a tragic end in the Metros road race. The pictures floating around this and other forums don’t show the overwhelming distress I was in to see my new pride and joy destroyed.

After a period of grieving (a few days) I took the bike to Planet Cycles and in less than a week Specialized and Planet Cycles had sourced a replacement frame and rebuilt the bike with the usual loving care.

I can’t thank Specialized enough for their quick, no fuss, ‘just get it done’ approach in replacing the broken frame. A special thanks also to Mark and Ash at Planet Cycles who looked after me during these trouble times.

I had only ridden my new Specialized Tarmac S-Works (the broken bike pictured) a couple of times, however I found its performance far exceeded my expectations for such a large bike. I am now looking forward to testing the replacement bike out in upcoming races.

Brett Youdan

END OF SAGA

JMR

• Tarmac Tart
  • Male
  • Excited
  • Forum posts: 823

Metro Champs

Glad to hear they looked after you Brett!

JMR

Latest forum posts

Specialized tarmac comp xxl
01-09-2014 09:08pm by WK....
For sale: malvern star oppy c7 - excellent condition
01-09-2014 08:56am by Whisp
Black hilux on nebo
29-08-2014 09:16pm by mikey
Good bike 'fitter' southside
01-09-2014 03:24pm by laager
Bike storage
28-08-2014 03:38pm by farro4069