Road Grime Australian Cycling Forums forum - Topic - O'Reilly's Route

's avatar

O'Reilly's Route

Here's the possible route, 147km with 3,700m of climbing. Leaving at 7am from Nerang, Hope st I think. That climb to Mt Tamborine at the end of the ride is going to hurt big time. 25 btw is not good enough, more like 34x27 would be sweet.

The Stumeister

• Snot Rocket
  • Male
  • Forum posts: 1337

O'Reilly's Route

I was half interested, then I remembered who I would be riding with, saw the elevation profile and haven't ridden more than 3 hrs in about 3 months.groan

polevaulter

• Wheel Sucker
  • Male
  • Forum posts: 484

O'Reilly's Route

Quote: Ihatehills

At risk of being vapourized by an all seeing, all powerful alien I think Morbo might be mistaken. I reckon Henri Robert is steeper for longer. A few years ago a friend generated enough heat in front wheel while decending there to explode front tyre........

I agree, Henri Robert has steeper sections but also too many easer sections. So I would consider the climb to Mnt Tamborine from Cunangra harder overall, as the steepnes is more consistent for longer.

But that also depend on the day you are on .

Mikmik, if you forgot your HTFU staff, at least did you remember your running shoes ?getdown

AMR

• Tarmac Tart
  • Forum posts: 859

O'Reilly's Route

Sorry... have been away from the keyboard all day. Nice ride from Currumbin to Tomewin this arvo.

Meeting Nikolai at 6 7 am, Hope Street. Hope some other RGers can make it.

Cheers!

AMR

• Tarmac Tart

O'Reilly's Route

OK, done!

Nice morning for it. Started with a good coffee at the Healthy Habits Cafe and took the Beaudesert - Nerang Road (not bad in the morning but a bit scary on my way back). Had a go at HR drive (what a son of a...beast that is), turned around at Mt Tambourine and back down HR. From Canungra, Lemington Nat. Park Road all the way...

Great, fast climb! I was lucky with the traffic. A dozen cars and only one bus, which waited in one of the narrow parts. Lots of wildlife and a very diverse landscape. And the rain forest... absolutely fantastic!

Yes, it poured down as I started the descent so I took refuge at the Alpaca Farm. Nice couple running it, cyclists as well and responsible for putting the planks on the cattle grids. Great work!

Thanks for all the info here. I can say O'Reilly's is now noted as one of my favourites!

Cheers!

mikmik

• Hammer Head
  • Male
  • Chillin
  • Forum posts: 3394

O'Reilly's Route

A note to guys wanting to climb O'Rielly's on the weekends- If you leave early (around 6-6.30am) from Cannungra you'd be very very lucky to see any vehicles coming down once you start the climb. There is an O'Rielly's mini bus that goes up to the top very early in the mornings but that is it untill the tourists start pouring in at around 9am in summer and about 10-11 in winter. Very safe riding and you really do feel like you are the only one out there. Still watch the blind corners coming down.

Weekend ride to Binna Burra is almost as quiet. If you go around 6-6.30am you will get at most half a dozen downward traffic of locals and not much up until tourists start arriving at the same time as O'Rielly's.

I once was climbing O'Rielly's very early in the morning and the phone rang but I was huffing and puffing and didn't want to pick up. A message came through and I noticed it was from the lovely....so I took it upon myself to just yell out I LOVE YOU HONEY!! at the top of my voice as a random thing. Keep climbing. 2 corners later I see someone up ahead. Ride harder to catch person. I catch the person but 'she' moves over away from me and gives me a wierd look...wierd enough for me to just put my head down and keep going. She probably heard me yelling out 'I love you honey' and thought I was a wierdo out and about. I hope she wasn't frightened icon_redfaceicon_redfaceicon_redface

Exit

• Snot Rocket
  • Forum posts: 1170

O'Reilly's Route

Quote: mikmik

A note to guys wanting to climb O'Rielly's on the weekends- If you leave early (around 6-6.30am) from Cannungra you'd be very very lucky to see any vehicles coming down once you start the climb. There is an O'Rielly's mini bus that goes up to the top very early in the mornings but that is it untill the tourists start pouring in at around 9am in summer and about 10-11 in winter. Very safe riding and you really do feel like you are the only one out there. Still watch the blind corners coming down.

Weekend ride to Binna Burra is almost as quiet. If you go around 6-6.30am you will get at most half a dozen downward traffic of locals and not much up until tourists start arriving at the same time as O'Rielly's.

I once was climbing O'Rielly's very early in the morning and the phone rang but I was huffing and puffing and didn't want to pick up. A message came through and I noticed it was from the lovely....so I took it upon myself to just yell out I LOVE YOU HONEY!! at the top of my voice as a random thing. Keep climbing. 2 corners later I see someone up ahead. Ride harder to catch person. I catch the person but 'she' moves over away from me and gives me a wierd look...wierd enough for me to just put my head down and keep going. She probably heard me yelling out 'I love you honey' and thought I was a wierdo out and about. I hope she wasn't frightened icon_redfaceicon_redfaceicon_redface

That was me... when i was a woman...

mikmik

• Hammer Head
  • Male
  • Chillin
  • Forum posts: 3394

O'Reilly's Route

you had nice legs love

Haywarm

• Tarmac Tart
  • Male
  • Stressed
  • Forum posts: 569

O'Reilly's Route

GOLD09chuckles09chuckles

AMR

• Tarmac Tart

O'Reilly's Route

Quote: Ihatehills

AMR, if you do go via Henri Robert how about an update Fri?

Tough.. but GOLD. I wished I had the 34-27, also mentioned here...

Henry Robert and O'Reilly's

Latest forum posts

Members online

0 member and 28 guests online.

Latest member: Mickd

Website stats

• Total members: 6856
  • Forum topics: 8080
  • Forum posts: 106814